When a grassroots organization makes a positive impact in its community, people take notice. The following is a selection of media coverage from the past year that highlights the work being done by Community Leadership Project grantees.
- Faith in Action hosted a volunteer orientation training for people who would like to help the growing number of homebound elderly people in need. The Reporter, February 9, 2015.
- Faith in Action operates a unique “door-through-door” transportation service for low-income seniors – for example, volunteers drive and then walk passengers into appointments, and help carry grocery bags into the home. Times-Herald, February 6, 2015.
- ACT for Women and Girls co-sponsored a “One Billion Rising: Visalia Rises!” march to bring awareness to domestic violence, support victims and promote justice. Visalia Times-Delta, February 6, 2015.
- Pacifica Resource Center led local volunteers to assist census workers in their biennial Homeless One Day Count. Times-Herald, February 1, 2015.
- WildPlaces relocated its office from Springville to Porterville and will be more accessible to the community. The Porterville Recorder, January 30, 2015.
- Veggielution partnered with the Stone Church of Willow Glen to plant 20 fruit trees to provide a sustainable fresh fruit program that educates and advocates for healthy living. San Jose Mercury News, January 28, 2015.
- Pajaro Valley Arts Council displayed work from 50 Santa Cruz County artists at an “Art to Go” fundraising exhibit. Santa Cruz Sentinel News, January 19, 2015.
- Merced Lao Family Community organized a weekend-long event filled with tradition to celebrate the beginning of the Hmong New Year. Merced Sun-Star, December 19, 2014.
- Three teens from the Alisal Center for the Fine Arts organized the second “City of Letters Slam,” which combined a poetry slam competition and open mic event. Monterey County Weekly, December 12, 2014.
- Loaves, Fishes & Computers received the Non-Profit of the Year honor in Union Bank and KSBW’s annual Salute to Small Business awards. The Californian, December 12, 2014.
- A Pacifica Resource Center holiday story featured Aren Clark and Chris Martin, who participated in the center’s “Adopt A Family” Holiday Program. San Jose Mercury News, December 2, 2014.
- Sunday Friends uses an innovative system that allows low-income families in San Jose to purchase items from their store by attending classes and trainings. San Jose Mercury News, November 19, 2014.
- ACT for Women and Girls joined with PFLAG Tulare and Kings Counties to paint a mural and spread mulch at a local elementary school for Make a Difference Day, a nation-wide volunteering event. Pajaro Valley Arts Council, October 30, 2014.
- Pacifica Resource Center presented at a conference to raise awareness about the emergency mental health services available to county residents. The San Francisco Examiner, August 8, 2014.
- Alisal Center for the Fine Arts hosted “City of Letters Poetry Slam,” a combination poetry slam/open mic event for community members in Salinas. The Californian, August 3, 2014.
- The Black Organizing Project was featured as an organization doing exceptional work with young black men in Oakland. MSNBC, July 15, 2014.
- Acta Non Verba founder Kelly Carlisle was honored by President Obama at an annual Iftar dinner celebrating Ramadan at the White House. Center for Collaborative Research for an Equitable California, July 14, 2014. Carlisle was also featured in the San Jose Mercury News, The Huffington Post and ABC News.
- Movement Generation created a video that uses humor to promote community-based environmental activism. Colorlines, July 7, 2014.
- The Watsonville Law Center provided free legal assistance at Stand Down, a semi-annual tent village that provides medical, housing, education, life skills and other services to homeless veterans. Monterey Herald, July 4, 2014.
- Fathers & Families of San Joaquin activist Sokha Kaz Lek discussed the work he does to improve his community in a recent interview. Recordnet.com, June 29, 2014.
- The San Joaquin Pride Center celebrated its renovated facilities with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and an LGBT Short Film Festival. Recordnet.com, April 29, 2014.
- Peninsula Interfaith Action and the San Francisco Organizing Project merged in January to become the San Francisco Organizing Project/Peninsula Interfaith Action. In April, the organization hosted a rally to protest Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids and deportation. The Times-Standard, April 19, 2014.
- Danzantes Unidos de California hosted the Danzantes Unidos Festival, which culminated with 700 dancers attempting a new world record for “Most Folklorico Dancers Dancing." KMPH, April 14, 2014.
Fathers & Families of San Joaquin executive director Samuel Nunez was interviewed about the 4th Annual Boys and Men of Color Summit. Capital Public Radio, April 9, 2014.
California Indian Environmental Alliance (CIEA) executive director Sherri Norris spoke about the dangers of mercury in fish at an informational event presented by The Sierra Fund. CIEA co-sponsored the event. YubaNet.com, April 7, 2014.
Movement Generation Justice and Ecology Project members Carla Perez, Doria Robinson and Ellen Choy were interviewed about climate justice, food justice and resilience-based organizing. Women’s Magazine (KPFA), April 7, 2014.
Veggielution Community Farm co-founder and executive director Amie Frisch was honored by Silicon Valley Business Journal as a 2014 Woman of Influence. Silicon Valley Business Journal, April 4, 2014.
Communities Organized for Relational Power in Action organized a seminar for King City residents to voice their concerns about public safety. KION, March 17, 2014.
Four Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative member salons were recognized as Healthy Nail Salons by the Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment with commendations presented by Mayor Pam O’Connor and Mayor Pro Tem Terry O’Day. Santa Monica Mirror, March 7, 2014.
Acta Non Verba founder and executive director Kelly Carlisle shares the inspiration, joys and struggles of urban farming. Oakland Local, February 26, 2014. Carlisle was also featured in the March issue of Sunset magazine.